• You cannot reply to this topic

LED D20 pedestal Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

I came up with this idea a few months ago shortly after buying a translucent spindown D20, but I only got around to finishing it last night. The gist of the project is that it's a pedestal for the D20 that only lights up when the die is placed on it. The easiest way is to use a weight-activated microswitch that closes when the die is in place.

Posted Image
The donor of the box is an old GWS FM receiver shell that I got a few years ago. You can see the microswitch I plan on using right next to it.

Posted Image
I tested the design with one microswitch and found that the entire project was going to be too heavy for a single switch to reliably disengage when the die was taken off. I used a mirrored pair of two and the weight response is perfect.

Posted Image
The battery for the project is an old lipo that I bought for the 6s AE RC182 project that I finished/sold a few years back. 2s, 800mAh is perfect for something that's not gonna be drawing much current (~25mA).

Posted Image
hotglued the LED to the bottom of the case. The LED has heatshrink around it so that light doesn't just leak everywhere

Posted Image
everything wired up. I could've gone series or parallel with the two switches, I decided on series since it cuts down on the number of wires I need.

Posted Image
plugged in and ready to go

Posted Image
place it upside down on the table...

Posted Image
and if force is applied to the top, the LED lights

Posted Image
next to the D20

Posted Image
and this is what the D20 looks like when it's placed on the pedestal

Posted Image
normal, not lit

Posted Image
LED active

Posted Image
low ambient lighting shot. It's really pretty. I suspect that as this die gets older and more scuffed up, the light will diffuse better too.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users