• You cannot reply to this topic

WE Hi-Capa Dragon 5.1 Type A 4, here WE go again

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:57 PM

I picked up another WE Hicapa in order to have a loaner that is fun to shoot versus a pistol that I don't like at all (got rid of all those already). This was a used WE Hicapa Dragon 5.1 Type A, basically a 5.1 version of my old 7" Dragon but in black this time.

Posted Image
Received the package, arrived intact.

Posted Image
Typical of all WE Hicapas, the left hand side safety lever has fallen off. The normal right hand safety lever still works fine and is still tight.

Posted Image
Dust on the inside area, might have not been used for awhile. I will be completely disassembling this Hicapa so it doesn't really matter, but if you receive a used Hicapa and it used like this, you probably want to regrease the entire gun.

Posted Image
Pulling off the front sight section, this one is only secured with one screw down below. This might be a problem for longevity, I might have to drill out and retap it for a larger screw especially since there's only around 5 or 6mm of space below the recoil guide rod.

Another option is to drill (or drill and tap?) the guide rod for a longer screw to go through up into the top portion below the outer barrel.

Posted Image
Typical WE Hicapa construction. Note the 4.3 length guide rod bushing on the full size 5.1 recoil guide rod in order for it to not interfere with the front sight block.

Posted Image
Rear sight is not as complex as the Tokyo Marui design, the base of the sight is actually a part of the slide which makes it so much easier to affix the blowback unit. 1mm hinge pin, I think an M3x4 pan head screw on the top of the blowback unit.

Posted Image
Pulling out the entire blowback unit. The dimensions of the main seal housing and the spacer were off, the screw could be all the way tight and the seal is still wobbly. I tried a shorter screw and it's still wobbly so I have to shim the play of the seal housing with an M3 lockwasher. Now it doesn't move, which should improve consistency.

Posted Image
Fully stripped the slide in order to fix it up perhaps...the previous owner has scratched some designs into the side that I kind of want to get rid of.

Updates to come, this will be the first time I'm messing around with paint.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:16 AM

Continuing work on the Dragon

Posted Image
Forgot to post this last time, the typical damage the hammer does to WE's alloy. I assume this is as far as it will go, as now it should be whacking into the slide and not even touching the frame anymore.

Posted Image
Frame disassembled

Posted Image
I intended to sand off the sides of the pistol to have a distinct two-tone pattern, but surprise surprise the tolerance is off and the sides are not completely flat. The front and rear are wider than the middle, thankfully on both sides, so this interesting gradient type pattern became visible when I was grinding on a flat tabletop. The front sight block was the same story, not completely flat even on that small of a piece. lol

Initially I was irritated as I would have to spend quite awhile grinding both sides to get it entirely silver, but when I stopped to look at it I kind of like how it looks this way. A kind of gradient, semi-organic look like how wood might be. I washed off the pieces and went back inside to reassemble the pistol.

Posted Image
WE also did not design the slide stop properly, I was wondering why you can powerstroke Marui Hicapas but not WE - they have just a bump here to click the slide stop either up or down. Marui slide stops have a ramp that the detent pushes on to return it to its lowered position. I might have to get an extended slide stop for this pistol

I dremeled off the bump being careful not to grind off the ramp on the back that holds in the slide stop during pistol operation. Seeing as how the ramp was not cast in the original mold, it is still not able to be powerstroked. It is easier to click up and down now however, which is probably the best I can do.

Posted Image
Kind of a bad comparison photo as it turns out since I didn't take them from the exact same angle to capture the sheen, but I stuck on an STI marked grip to make it look more stylish. This is a more subtle two-tone and I actually like how it turned out.

I don't know how long it'll stay glossy but I guess we'll see what it looks like as it weathers/corrodes. If it gets uglier over time I'll resand and seal it with some clearcoat or something.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users