• You cannot reply to this topic

Hicapa 5.1 "Maxcapa"

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 13 October 2020 - 04:15 PM

This is the log for work done to "Maxcapa", a WE Tactical Hicapa that is eventually getting upgrades to bring it to Marui spec.

First upgrade was the introduction of Marui stock parts, a midframe and stripped slide were changed for the WE parts. An Edge lightweight BBU was moved over from the slide, but was found to give cycling reliability issues.

Posted Image
The WE Hicapa comes with some good features, like a threaded metal outer barrel for realism and the ability to use a suppressor in order to run a longer inner barrel.

Posted Image
I am not quite sure what the exact parts are, but the recoil guide/bushing is AC and the BBU is the Edge Lightweight one. I assume the rest are stock WE.

Posted Image
Swapping in a Marui BBU with the WE loading nozzle, reusing the included nozzle spring which I suspect is stock WE (stronger than Marui spec)

Posted Image
Right off the bat there's an issue with the AC guide rod, the hollow pin that they used to pin the rod to the lower section with the bearing is slightly too long which causes the recoil spring to bind on it. I'm also not quite sure what that thrust bearing is supposed to be for, considering all stock Hicapas run recoil buffers and that will essentially bypass the bearing

Posted Image
Stuck back in with the stock WE recoil guide, which is not that bad in my opinion. Two Cowcow short stroke buffers and the stock WE spring will mean some pretty fast return to battery.

Also barely visible is an AIP hammer impact pad. This needs to be tightened down properly on the Marui slides or else you get light striking issues due to the hammer not hitting the valve knocker deep enough for the lock to engage.

Posted Image
Not much more needs to be done for now functionality-wise, run it til something gives out. I think the WE sears will be next to give out so perhaps those

I'll chrono it at the next chance to see how well it does. I'm not certain how long the inner barrel is but it does extend into the suppressor.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 15 October 2020 - 05:44 PM

Posted Image
Chrono'd the gun with the Marui blowback unit and the FPS has jumped up. Previously at the field this gun chrono'd around 330fps with 0.28g, which should translate to 350fps with 0.25g.

This is a bit high for a sidearm, and will need to be dropped.

Posted Image
Disassembling the barrel assembly and the extra long inner barrel can be seen

Posted Image
Coming in at 188mm, just short of the claimed 190mm. It's supposed to be a 6.03mm bore.

Posted Image
Putting in the stock inner barrel to test, it's 110x6.03mm. I think the Marui spec Hicapas are supposed to have a 112 or 112.5mm inner barrel?

Posted Image
This one sits flush with the outer barrel when it drops, so I guess WE spec really is 110mm inner.

I will chrono the pistol with the stock inner barrel, and see. The black coating is on the inside of the stock inner barrel, I might have to polish it off with Brasso or something as it does come off when I ran cleaning swabs down it.

Suggested to the owner that he can run two barrels or entire slide assemblies to run this as a primary and sidearm. There are a bunch of extra parts that he can use for whatever purpose as they are mostly interchangeable:

- WEtech slide, blowback unit, nozzle, extended inner barrel/suppressor
- AC recoil guide rod, bunch of unknown recoil springs, guide rod bushings, buffers

For a barrel-change all that's needed is a hop unit and outer barrel. For a complete slide swap all that's needed in addition is a nozzle return spring. Stock WE parts can be used for a close range pistol as accuracy is less of a concern at shorter distance. Marui slide and upgraded hop chamber can be used to reach out at further distances more accurately. I'm not certain about the quality of the WE inner barrel, a good inner like ML CJ or even Lambda/PDI should improve groupings.

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:29 PM

Opening up the Hicapa again for some cleaning. It turns out that it wasn't very dirty, just some buildup of stuff on the slide rails. There were a coupld of cosmetic requests as well.

Posted Image
Quick chrono after dark on the stock barrel, looks a lot better. Remember these are on 0.25g, just under 1.2J. Great for CQB

Posted Image
Opening it up again to access the internals

Posted Image
Scrub scrub

Posted Image
Changing the hammer out for the provided one

Posted Image
11.9g with what feels like a steel hammer

Posted Image
Punched out the pin to separate the WE hammer from the strut. WEnesium hammer weighs 10.4g

Posted Image
Greased the pivot hinge and on goes the hammer

Posted Image
Reassembling the midframe

Posted Image
Also will be swapping out the trigger with an Edge unit

Posted Image
Punching out the roll pin to separate the trigger bar

Posted Image
Attaching the Edge trigger. The overtravel limit set screw needs to be screwed in backwards, as the hole for the screwdriver is too narrow for the grub screw. Loctite it down so it doesn't move under use.

Posted Image
Thanks to the looser WE tolerances, there is zero binding so no fitment work is needed. Smooth pull with zero modification

Posted Image
Reassembled lower

Posted Image
Pistol is all the way back together. Blacked out trigger and hammer makes for a stealthier look for sure

Posted Image
Start reassembling the stock WE slide for a swappable upper

Posted Image
Enough spare parts to complete the entire BBU

Posted Image
Rear sight assembly is much easier to assemble than the Marui one as it can be put on without touching the BBU. Putting in the elevation spring, although squishing it down and using an O-ring to provide tension will make it more reliable.

Posted Image
Just needs barrel and recoil spring assemblies and it's good to go. Maybe if those pieces are upgraded on the main pistol, the backup slide can be completed.

Posted Image
I think the grip screws need to be changed out for gucci ones but those can be done at any time and I want to avoid the possibility of scratching it during work.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users