• You cannot reply to this topic

[pc] laptop projects Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

This thread is for the projects I do on my many laptops. I haven't built or bought a laptop for around 6 years now, these are all ones I've salvaged or scrapped together with parts that I've been given or I found.

My primary laptop right now is a Dell Latitude E5410, given to me with a cracked power jack and a completely dead battery. I've been using them for almost a year now, and only recently have thought to repair them.

I noticed that different companies were selling adapters for the SATA optical drive bays in newer laptops, so I figured I'd ditch the DVD drive and stick in a secondary hard drive with SSD primary, same as my desktop.

Posted Image
Here it is, fresh from the box. I got it off of Amazon here: http://amzn.to/1oedk4p

Posted Image
The protective plastic was actually screwed in, and far too clingy to be removed easily...

Posted Image
Sticking in an older 120GB Seagate

Posted Image
It even has tabs so you can snap in the old DVD drive faceplate should you want to

Posted Image
bright blue LED that is always on, not sure if it's supposed to blink on hdd access

Posted Image
Also replaced the cells in the battery with some test ones, the battery now holds charge and is able to charge due to the power socket being fixed. However, it only lasts ten seconds, so stronger (newer) cells are gonna be required.

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:42 PM

Here's the photos I took documenting me replacing the power socket on my Latitude E5410. I was also given another laptop, another Dell model that I can't recall at the moment that had a cracked LCD. I cannibalized its power jack since the laptop wasn't good for much else anyway.

Posted Image
Opening up the E5410, it has an unusual system where the keyboard has an edge connector on the bottom that slides into the bottom of the laptop.

Posted Image
Separated the two halves. That thing sitting in the fan space is the BIOS battery

Posted Image
Here's the power jack. It was electrically fine, but I had to use a power adapter with a slightly wider barrel diameter for reasons unknown to me until I saw the jack with my own eyes

Posted Image
The housing is cracked, which is why the correct size plug would fall out easily.

Posted Image
Here's the part I'm going to take from the donor board. The two are identical

Posted Image
While removing the one from the E5410 the plastic pieces started falling out, revealing the structure of the contacts inside

Posted Image
Most of the plastic is completely gone

Posted Image
Used my reflow station with a 20x20mm nozzle in order to remove the entire socket at the same time.

Posted Image
Same technique to get the intact socket off

Posted Image
Ready to go back in

Posted Image
Hand soldered, I should have gone over it with the reflow station another time before reassembly but it was already 3am and this should be fine for now.

The laptop has been working fine since, and the other AC adapter that I used to use no longer fits into the jack. Standard Dell AC adapters work again, without falling out instantly. Success!

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

Some SSDs went on Shell Shocker, so I picked up a bunch for the crew and myself. It's going into the laptop to see if it can be revived, since I have a feeling that the hdd currently in it is dying (or at least has a dismal throughput).

Posted Image
Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB

Posted Image
First thing I noticed was how thin this SSD is, it even comes with a bracket to space it out to a normal thickness.

Posted Image
Lining it up with the original 60GB OCZ SSD I had, and the HDD that's currently inside.

Posted Image
Looking at the ends you can see the difference in thickness more drastically.

It's been running smoothly since then. I was worried about the speeds not being quite up to snuff with the more modern drives (450MB/s read and write), performance is fine for an Arrandale mobile Core i5.

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

https://www.instagra...Y0KerCg-bgFoI0/

I recently got a 14g syringe of Arctic Alummina for a good price, hope to see good results. I repasted my laptop since the AS5 that was in it was from a tube that went dry not long after. Temps would hit 98-101°C while using Athena's ASS, which is not good. Immediately after putting the laptop back together, I reran the same armor search and the temp maxed out at 83°C. Let's see how the long-term looks, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users