Digital.Complex: Nvidia Shield K1 tablet - Digital.Complex

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

  • D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 2,582
  • Joined: 18-October 05

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:05 PM

I forgot to post this project up when I did it. I got an Nvidia Shield K1 tablet back in April 2017 and have been using it as my gaming platform due to its strong dedicated GPU.

There are a few known issues with the tablet, biggest is a weak wifi connection strength. I experienced this as well, with a WAP being around 15 feet away through a wall where I usually use it at home, and it having only two bars of connectivity out of the five while my phone had four or more. There was a remedy online where people have replaced its wifi antenna with a more capable one, I figured I'd try the same.

Posted Image
Here's the tablet in the case that it came with

Posted Image
Pop off the rear and this is what you see. Motherboard at the bottom left of this photo, and one of the wifi antennas is at the bottom left closeby.

Posted Image
Removing this weak antenna from its mount

Posted Image
Snap on a stronger antenna designed for laptops in remote areas, and still managed to fit the pcb antenna over the foam next to where the original one was at.

Posted Image
It's twice as good as it was before just with this one antenna swap, I think I'll leave the other one alone unless I experience more problems.

Tablet is powerful for its age but the 16GB storage really limits it in more recent times.
0

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

  • D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 2,582
  • Joined: 18-October 05

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:23 AM

More recent update to the project, replacing the battery. There is no OEM replacement from Nvidia, so we have to make do with what's available.

Measuring dimensions led me to the C11-P03 battery for the Asus Padfone 2. I ordered a battery and started the install.

Posted Image
Here's the original battery's connections to the motherboard. I will be leaving those alone

Posted Image
opening up the foil on the Nvidia battery shows the control board with the raw battery spot welded to it.

Posted Image
Here's the board on the lipo going in. We will be swapping it with the original one to avoid charging problems.

Posted Image
Separating the control board from the Nvidia lipo

Posted Image
Here it is removed. I left on some space to solder to

Posted Image
Soldering it to the new lipo

Posted Image
It's a little bit smaller than the original but the capacity, if stated accurately, is identical.

Posted Image
Tablet seems to be accepting charge, although there might have been a calibration period as it would not recognize the power button presses for awhile even after it was plugged in.

Posted Image
I left it to charge for an hour or so and when I tried powering it on it now worked.

The original lipo was kept for a week in its bloated state just in case the new battery failed. It's been two weeks since the procedure was done and the new replacement battery has been performing fine since. Project is a success
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users