Digital.Complex: [nerf] Praxis (Vortex) - Digital.Complex

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[nerf] Praxis (Vortex)

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

  • D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 2,523
  • Joined: 18-October 05

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

I found this Praxis on sale so I picked it up. Wasn't sure how much I could do because the Vortex series runs off of a torsion spring rather than a linear compression one, but I decided to open it up.

Posted Image
Here it is fresh out of the box

Posted Image
The pump handle comes off in three pieces

Posted Image
The Vortex line seems to have nonstandard shells, because like the Nitron the Praxis opened up and half of it is still there lol.

Posted Image
Nice access hole for this mounting screw. It needs to have a sturdy mount, because right next to it is the torsion spring.

Posted Image
I had to take off the screw on that arm in order to move the assembly out of the way to access the top mounting screw that holds the firing mechanism to the shell.

Posted Image
separating the guts from the shell. The stuff at the top of the photo is upside down.

Posted Image
separating these pieces, take out those two cylindrical locks.

Posted Image
I'm not sure if Nerf did this intentionally to help modders, but there are already multiple mounting points for the spring. I have already moved the spring one over in this photo, as you can see one screwhole is clearly used.

Posted Image
as a safeguard to the increased stress, I made a reinforcement plate out of aluminum that will go on top of the spring mounting holes.

Posted Image
I used an M2 machine screw in the original screw hole, and the original screw in the new mounting spot. Notice that I installed the plate without any tension on the mounts, which means that it will be trued and not mounted when the posts are deformed. Two of the posts are rigidly connected, and the strength of the aluminum plate is directly tied to the plastic.

Posted Image
I thought about drilling a hole for the third screw mount, but I didn't think it was necessary (and also, because I couldn't find another M2 screw for it. Teehee.)

Posted Image
reinstall the bumper

Posted Image
The Praxis had a problem where some blasters would drop the magazine when it was fired. Apparently it was due to a design flaw where the trigger linkage would move the magazine release lever internally when depressed. I compared my internals to one on youtube and found that Nerf did a running update to the blaster, as mine was 'fixed' and had a slightly different shaped linkage that avoided contact with the spring tooth mounted further towards the rear.

Posted Image
Maybe a little bit hard to see, but I used my sanding drum on the dremel to grind off the upper half of the lever tooth.

Posted Image
Now it doesn't even rub it at all. I did a lot of testing and the Praxis wouldn't drop mags, but better to be safe than sorry in the middle of a shootout.

Posted Image
anyway, back to the modding. I needed to remove this lock, it prevented reversal of the pump while priming.

Posted Image
remove these two screws to separate the bottom and top plates

Posted Image
pop out the lock, and then reassemble

Posted Image
a whole bunch of stuff had fallen out of my blaster internals when I ripped it apart, half thanks to everything being the same color so I didn't know where everything went, and half because I may or may not have let the thing dry fire when I had it open. I spent hours troubleshooting why my blaster wouldn't prime anymore, even though the pump action was smooth and I could hear things working. Turns out I had let this tiny piece fly out when I was working on modifying the spring, and that's the thing in the middle of the sled going across the gap.

Posted Image
this thing links up to the trigger sled. There's a spring under it too

Posted Image
I greased up the trigger mechanisms, not sure if it was necessary

Posted Image
I used the extra screw from the priming lock that I removed to put one over the trigger linkage.

Posted Image
when reassembling, don't forget to put this screw in before you do the pump handle

Posted Image
reassembled and ready to go.

Before and after shot comparison is hard to tell, because these discs don't really go quickly and it's hard to tell visually how far they're gonna go unless you let them drop off. I tested the blaster before I modded it and it shot reliably and predictably (like the Nitron) but after I modded it the discs had a hard time staying in the air. I hope that it's just due to the very high winds we've had today (and I'll test it later when it's more still) but so far it's not as good as before. That being said, impacts are a lot louder so the spring relocation did its job.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users