Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

laptops HELP! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   marmaldegirl16 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:45 PM

Ok so I am trying to figure out what type of laptop to ask for...and I have no clue what's good for what. Help please?

I just want one that's good for downloading/saving music, burning CD's, lot's of storage, and um talking to friends/surfing the web...any suggestions?

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:13 PM

Do you have any preference of vendor, ie. Dell, Gateway, etc. or type, ie. Windows/Mac (two major ones)?

Also, price range would be nice too, so you can get a target of what to expect.

#3 User is offline   marmaldegirl16 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:31 AM

Um not really a preference of vendor but for type I'd prefer Windows and for price I'd say between $500-$1,000 if possible *honestly knows nothing about laptops*

#4 User is offline   katsu 

• twelveAM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:12 PM

YEHS!! Speaking of laptops I've just got a laptop of my own. My sister's friend's husband gave me his old laptop. It's a Sharp. Mebius. It's monitor is broken but if I connect it to another monitor it should be good. He said something about the battery too. Well, I'll have Sho look at it.

#5 User is offline   Sayonara 

• Puella Magi Sayo Dokidoki-da
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:31 AM

When I got my laptop, I had to look carefully at the memory and processor. To me those were the most important. A family friend recommended I get a HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook PC because of widescreen, fairly good memory, and price range which I think was between and estimate of $500 to $800. Good enough for me.

#6 User is offline   marmaldegirl16 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:14 AM

hmmm that actually sounds good...I'll check it out ^^ Thanks!

#7 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

Dell has plenty of stuff, might wnat to look there if you can. :D

#8 User is offline   marmaldegirl16 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:06 PM

ya know, I looked like everywhere but Dell...yet I always see ads for Dell..I'll have to check it out ^_^ thanks everyone

#9 User is offline   Unyo-kun 

• Wind Tranqulity Wavemaster (NPC)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:08 PM

i need to start looking for a laptop (yay!) but what do you think i should look at? some points:

+ good processor, good memory, good battery life and portability important
+ no need good graphic cards and stuff, intergrated is reccomended especiallly so it doesnt poot out battery.
+ widescreen BAAAAD unyo haet widescreen @[email protected] widescreen is WIIIIIIIDE
+ for mouse thing, nothing funny like that little nub crap or trackball. other then that
+ bloatware is not cool. so that means no dell, compaq, hp, yada yada those junk companies that like to give you stuff you dont ask for
+ don't care about vista, xp or 2k even is awesome
+ heat. T_T you know why (laptop != lap warmer D: aka testicle fryer)

im thinking of looking at some tiny name companies, not the big ones that spam your computer, but im not sure of any that are good. any thoughts?

#10 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:55 PM

^ Sager didn't have much bloatware if I remember, if any. Also, they give you a 'recovery disk' which is basically a copy of the XP cd. This cd is the one I used to give an OS to my dududesktop (aka server, if things worked out). If anything, you can reformat the hdd as soon as you get the pc anyway so bloatware isn't really a big worry.

Sager is geared towards the gaming community, so idk if they have integrated graphics. Try checking Newegg out for Acers or Toshibas that suit your needs.

#11 User is offline   djSL 

• YE~yE~YEAAA~~~
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

WARNING!!!!
(the space bar on the comp does not work too good so beware of run together words lol :] )

I've been talking to Sho many many times about laptops because i need one badly. He has linked me to many sites but the one that caught my attention the most was http://www.ibuypower.com

They specialize in custom cases and gaming pcs, however they have laptops as well.

The thing that amazed me about their laptops was the ability to choose nearly every component that would go inside of your future computer and the free stuff they bundle with it.

The price you ask?? They range from 1000 to 1700 for the most expensive that ive seen. Also, almost all of them are.... SEXYYYYYY....:)

if you found one already i guess this is just a future reference for people. :)

#12 User is offline   Enoesiw 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

One of my good friends got a laptop from ibuypower and it worked fairly well for about a year and a half. When I saw him over winter break, the videocard crapped out on him, so he's looking into a replacement card. Needless to say it was a powerful laptop for a decent price.

I've been looking around for a new laptop lately. Even if it doesn't die soon (it's over 2 years old now, runs fine, but heats up quite a bit), it definitely needs more power to run Solidworks and programs like that (a lot of which are starting to drop 32-bit support to move into the 64-bit realm for good.) Alas 64-bit processing is the ruin of the 32-bit processing era. I've been looking around on various sites like Dell/Gateway/ibuypower, as well as commercial sites like Newegg, and I'd have to say that really it comes down to preference. Which provider do you prefer more.

I'm thinking about picking up a new Asus as I've read very good reviews of it and the hardware seems to be a solid choice. Well, I'll let everyone know how that plays out in the near future (aiming at buying it towards the end of Summer).

#13 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:18 AM

http://infoworld.com...ng-netbooks-991
great article on some contemporary good netbooks to consider, if you're in that market.

Also, I've been quite heavy in laptop repair...I've just gotten an Acer Aspire One AOA150 (same as my personal netbook) fixed from viruses. I also have to work on Moshi's gigantic Toshiba Satellite X205-SLi1 and another 'friends' Compaq Presario C500.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users