• You cannot reply to this topic

Small mods/maintenance Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

This thread will be for the relatively minor mods or maintenance done to the car. We start off with resoldering the ECU plugs, a known weak spot that results in crappy idling, poor gas mileage, etc. Even though our car was working relatively well despite the 140k miles, I decided to resolder the pins anyway.

Posted Image
ECU out of the car

Posted Image
the pcbs taken out of the plastic enclosure.

All of the pins on the main board had a plastic socket, so you didn't have to worry about them shifting when the solder melted. The ones on the auxilary board didn't have a placeholder, but I didn't feel them shifting when they were reflowed.

The good ol' days of leaded solder...mmm...

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

Posted Image
took off all of the extremely old and purple tint, so now we can actually see out the hatch window.

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Malcolm worked on cleaning the undertray.

Posted Image
Removing the undertray for cleaning

Posted Image
Taken out. It's all full of oily muck.

Posted Image
using engine degreaser for the job

Posted Image
after several passes and much used up newspaper

Posted Image
found a ladybug on the hose lol

I saw that there was an unnecessary box on the intake tube. It helped the tube mount to the radiator, but it also causes disruptions to smooth airflow.

Posted Image
The stock intake. We need to remove the chamber on it for better airflow.

Posted Image
There's a hole leading from the main intake tube to the chamber, which quiets the incoming air.

Posted Image
bottom view

Posted Image
After about half an hour with a dremel and hacksaw

Posted Image
super simple (aka poor man's) Gorilla Tape solution to cover up the hole

Posted Image
left a strip inside so it doesn't stick to whatever shit goes past

Posted Image
Three wraps later

Posted Image
installed back in the car

Posted Image
side view. Looks very inconspicuous, I think.

I also decided to resolder the 'idiot lights' module, as we had sporadic clock operation.

Posted Image
the unit removed from the car

Posted Image
fortunately the plug didn't blow up like the headlights one

Posted Image
it did have these dried up and cracking rubber mounts for the clock pcb

Posted Image
three screws to disassemble the unit

Posted Image
the view from inside.

Posted Image
one of the dried out rubber spacers

Posted Image
and on the top. this one actually disintegrated when I touched it.

Posted Image
exposing the harness terminal

Posted Image
yep, cracked solder joints.

Posted Image
desoldered

Posted Image
cleaning out all of the 20 year old solder

Posted Image
had to scrape the pins on some of the terminals, they had carbonized

Posted Image
top view on the pcb

Posted Image
very important, screw the terminal back in before soldering. Otherwise you put unnecessary stress on the solder joints.

Posted Image
fresh leaded solder. Fuck you, RoHS.

We also removed the radio antenna from the rear, and changed the trunk light to LEDs. We filled up the hole in the spoiler with Gorilla Tape, and a lot of hot glue. Hey, it may be ghetto, but it's waterproof.

Posted Image
4x 8mm, running at ~80% brightness

Posted Image
Malcolm putting the undertray back on for now. Can see the lack of rear antenna.

Busy day! But it was definitely an adventure. What do do next?

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

I didn't take photos of me redoing the grounds on the car, but I cleaned, sanded and reattached major harness grounds on the front and the back of the car, ones that made the most difference was the ECU ground on the engine, and the alternator output (our battery is being charged again!). I recently regrounded the ignition coils, and whether or not it made a difference performance-wise is irrelevant because it was corroding and was generally ugly.

Posted Image
one set of coils mounted to the front of the engine bay, this one was very straightforward. Remove the coil module, sand everything down and retighten. This one was different, as it didn't mount directly to the frame at the top.

Posted Image
this was what the coil pack's upper bracket mounted to.

Posted Image
other side

Posted Image
and then there was this other thing mounted to it too. it also received the sandpaper treatment.

It being 2am when I did this, I forgot to take pictures of the important stuff...but the grounds have been refreshed, and that's good for the car.

#5 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Posted Image
the hatch was leaking visibly from this hole, there was a plastic plug in it but it didn't stop the trunk from getting soaked

Posted Image
the weatherstripping up top was cracking and falling apart, particularly in the center above the hole

Posted Image
pulling it up to maximize coverage

Posted Image
fill it up

Posted Image
got a clamp on it to help seal the weatherstripping edges as well

the RTV sealant dried very quickly since it was raining all day yesterday. Surface was dry in an hour. After doing this, I decided to remove the power steering belt. Our pump has been out of service since we bought the car, and all that pulley is doing is causing unnecessary drag on the engine.

Posted Image
loosening the tensioner pulley. As it turns out, the terrible screeching noise was not from a bad pulley bearing like I thought but actually from inside the power steering pump. :S

Posted Image
belt is off

Posted Image
hmmm...perhaps a belt change is in order

Posted Image
shot of the engine bay with the belt removed. I'm leaving the pump and tensioner in even though the pump is destroyed.

We took out the cruise control from the instrument panel, but we didn't remove the engine bay component at the time. I pulled it out last night as well.

Posted Image
the left exiting hose on this T was vacuum line used for the cruise control actuator.

Posted Image
badly lit photo with the cruise control vacuum line pulled off. The other two lines went up to a green and white one-way valve, and down to the engine block (removed in this photo).

Posted Image
I didn't want any leaks so I instead used the old cruise control line and hooked up the block nipple to the one way valve. The T and two short lines are now out of the car.

Posted Image
spot where the cruise control actuator used to sit.

I intended to do the throttle body coolant bypass, but I had difficulty removing the throttle body. I'll attempt again later. I think 12 hours in a day is enough working on a car. :P

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users