• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Website Defacement Do you know how to do it Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:48 AM

Do you know how to do it and prevent it?

don't know what defacement is?
http://en.wikipedia....site_defacement

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:21 PM

Don't know how to do it, cause I have no interest in defacing others' websites, but I take precautions to help prevent it on my own. Although, I suspect that you do much more than me to keep this site secure, Veji..

#3 User is offline   Unyo-kun 

• Wind Tranqulity Wavemaster (NPC)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

yes depending on how secure the site is, and yes

i can't say i've done it in quite a while though, but i have participated actively in some /i/nvasions...

#4 User is offline   Joshua Pack 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

Yea, I wasn't sure if you guys were aware of these things :) on one of my servers i had an old script running that was used to deface my website. I learned not to use other peoples scripts! So I build my own now. Which it is taking me forever to build this one Web Manager. what I like about what I am creating though is that it will have everything I need in it, plus I am able to update it myself, without waiting for other people to do it, or doing it myself only to finds out the next update deletes what i have done.

:)

In the end, don't use other peoples CRAP, unless you go through and harden it. I was just browsing the internet when I found a website defaced. I was like, poor poor guy :( Doesn't know how to prevent this.

Other then securing server as best as you can. I disabled a lot of things in PHP, such as the ability to look at other folders other then the main folder(forgot name :P ). Keep all programs up to date. Harden all scripts you made. If your a newb at programming, then don't release it to the public. NEVER have formmail.pl or any of those default crappy things, all unsecure! You should be pretty safe. If your programs get MySQL injection then I would learn how to do that, so you can test your own scripts :)

I have learned how to hack into just about anything, only to prevent it from happening to me. Although I am not an expert, because I don't hack everyday, I figure you have to have some knowledge of hacking to prevent it :-\

#5 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

I read about the SQL injection things, I made sure not to let those happen. For the SFQ, OST and Nadeshico sections, I didn't allow any sort of leeway so far as allowing users to compromise the database.

#6 User is offline   Unyo-kun 

• Wind Tranqulity Wavemaster (NPC)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:18 PM

yea, its smarter just to think of security while programming, and try to keep down team members to a minimum so holes arn't poked through due to one script.

another useful thing: BACKUPS

#7 User is offline   Bass GS 

• ??
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

I don't quite get this, but I'm glad you're working so hard to keep the site running free of hackers. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users