Digital.Complex: [nerf] Rapidstrike CS-18 (N-Strike Elite) - Digital.Complex

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[nerf] Rapidstrike CS-18 (N-Strike Elite)

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

I picked up a Rapidstrike CS-18 from Target for $25 after a price cut and some coupons (normal price is $40). As my first electric blaster I'm kind of excited to start modding it...

Posted Image
Here it is as it came from the box. It's quite a good looking blaster

Posted Image
I finally pulled it apart after taking off ten million screws

Posted Image
A quick look at the flywheel system

Posted Image
A quick look at the trigger system

Posted Image
my wattmeter doesn't reliably read 5v or less so I used my lipo straight to the battery contacts. Linearly scaling the watt reading, it should pull about 4.5A at 6v.

Posted Image
inductors on the plunger motor

Posted Image
jam door proximity switch

Posted Image
electronics gutted for further investigation

Posted Image
battery tray, accepts 4x C batteries

Posted Image
modified so I can fit some real batteries instead

More to come!

#2 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Finished up the mod. Took about five hours to understand the schematic, wire everything up and test.

Posted Image
This is the jam door switch, ready to be desoldered from the harness. It's better to leave it in unattached since it prevents the door from rattling.

Posted Image
pulling the shielding board off of the flywheel assembly, this is the result

Posted Image
soldered 24AWG wire straight to the motor terminals to both bypass the inductors while keeping the PCB intact, and to better handle the increased current from running higher voltage. I'm not sure how much copper density the PCB has, but I can't imagine it to be much.

Posted Image
as you can see in the previous picture, I scraped off some of the insulation in order to solder a bridge between the motor pads and the common ground. This will serve as an attachment point for the wiring later, and also it connects the shielding PCB to the ground since I will be reusing it.

Posted Image
cracked open the pusher mechanism in order to take out the motor in there

Posted Image
I accidentally a switch

Posted Image
the pusher motor straight out of the shell

Posted Image
desoldered the inductors

Posted Image
rest in the case for now until I finish everything else

Posted Image
thinking of how to redo the switches in here, there's a lot of excessive mechanical movement

Posted Image
I found a couple of these microswitches laying around from my old IIDX projects

Posted Image
I can make it fit with minimal grinding

Posted Image
marking where to cut the trigger plastic

Posted Image
cut

Posted Image
fully depressed

Posted Image
now I have to figure out what to do with the flywheel switch. I have to use this pathetically small SPDT in order to control the biggest current consumer in the blaster because I broke the other DPDT. :\ I'll just run it like this until it fries, then I'll think of something else.

Posted Image
checking the clearance with the switch location mocked up

Posted Image
thankfully the switches were designed to be operated this way, the plastic is slippery enough so that it still works smoothly

Posted Image
starting to wire everything up

Posted Image
wiring up the pusher motor

Posted Image
route the wires underneath and they won't get pinched

Posted Image
with some care, the wire management works well. All that's left at this point is to test.

Posted Image
as soon as I hooked up the battery, the pusher extended and held there. The flywheels and trigger worked perfectly fine, but the plunger was logically inverted to what it had to be. I had accidentally flipped the contacts, and this needed to be fixed. You can see on the earlier photos that the red wire was soldered to the right side of the switch before.

Posted Image
testing everything again to make sure it works properly

Posted Image
and it does! not bad numbers for using such a tiny NiMH battery pack too. Voltage sagged to around 7.5v under peak amp consumption.

Posted Image
Soldered on the Deans

Posted Image
and put everything back together.

The blaster does shoot a lot faster, hits harder and I imagine shoots further now that the voltage to the motors are increased and the crappy stock wire was replaced with RC-grade 22 and 24AWG. I was reading forums of the Nerf community and they all agreed that it was too small and you should run 16AWG but that's stupid since these things pull less than 10A, which is in the order of magnitude of 1:2x scale highly modified 130 motors. I don't see Mini-Z racers running 16AWG, and it's not even a matter of weight. Sure, the wire runs are longer and the harness isn't exposed to very much cooling airflow, but the usage of bursts of power to the motors with periods of off-time when the blaster is empty or being reloaded is completely different than RC racing, where the amp draw average is closer 100% over the use. If something does overheat I will find out quickly by either smell/smoke or a lipo explosion (hopefully not the last one), and I will use larger gauge wire. Until then, I deem it unnecessary. Besides, the ESC BEC's these days can pound out 5A+ and thirsty servos easily drain that much, and those are still run on 24AWG at the largest with connectors that have much higher resistance than Deans.

#3 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

After some quick measurements, I found the usable internal dimensions of the C battery holder to be 56mm wide, 26mm deep and 113mm long. Thus, 113x56x26 is the dimensions of lipo that I'm looking for, maybe a little less on the depth due to the battery chamber being tapered for the C cells.

Edit: I have about 92mm absolute maximum with the switch installed, unless I clean out the cap. The absolute maximum to the door is about 106mm.

#4 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:25 AM

Picked up another Rapidstrike because I'm an idiot. lol

Posted Image
Unfortunately this one has the infamous glue update. The pusher gearbox is glued to the top shell. It required a whole ton of force by Kellan to rip open.

Posted Image
You can see the slight indents where the CA melted the plastic from the outside.

Posted Image
pulling out the guts, a lot faster this time

Posted Image
repercussions of blasting the two halves open like we did, the negative lead is mounted in the upper shell so that got torn off. Nothing that a solder job couldn't fix.

Posted Image
I decided to use the same technique to mount the main trigger switch.

Posted Image
I routed out a little bit of the top plastic piece so the bottom screw wouldn't cause problems.

Posted Image
clean parts placement, all there's left to do is wire it up

Posted Image
instead of using the acceleration trigger, I decided to hard mount this automotive toggle on the outside of the barrel. My hands are large enough to flip the switch back and forth with my pinky when my left hand is holding the grip. This way, I solve the problem of 1. not having a large enough switch to handle the current of the flywheel motors, 2. have the wiring harness to the biggest current hog be unnecessarily long, and 3. when lifting off the accel trigger I tend to hit the mag-release button with my finger.

Posted Image
what it looks like on the inside.

Posted Image
mockup with the end cap on. The space between the switch's nut to the end of the cap is about 92mm.

#5 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Finished Itoe's Rapidstrike, which essentially is the same as the second one I started to mod.

Posted Image
Using an angle bracket as a stop for the battery so it doesn't hit the switch internals

Posted Image
testing with the shell installed, the screw isn't visible from the outside

Posted Image
wiring up the internals

Posted Image
as neatly as I could make them

Posted Image
all parts installed

Posted Image
Looking into the battery compartment, nothing gets pinched or stressed. The capacitor is in there to aid the flywheel motors with the dart-firing current surge.

#6 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

I finally finished the 3s Rapidstrike (my own Mk.II) I've been working on. It's similar to Itoe's one in the sense that the acceleration trigger has been removed and that the switch for the flywheel motors is on the grip instead.

Posted Image
In order to prevent the >9v autofire problem, I decided to use a BEC to drop the voltage to the pusher motor down to 7.2v since it worked ok when I used 2s lipo on it.

Posted Image
I also upgraded the trigger pull spring, as the stock one on this RS was different from my first one. I used the one out of the lock mechanism from the Sledgefire, requiring roughly twice the force to pull.

Posted Image
cleaned out the inside of the battery cap in order to fit the 3s lipo I bought

Posted Image
drilling some leftover 1/4" thick plexi to serve as a stop so the battery doesn't rest against the switch

Posted Image
installed using leftover EDF-Revo hardware

Posted Image
front view. I don't know where my countersink went, and it was important that there were no protruding bumps from the plexi in order to reduce the wear and tear on the lipo during bumps

Posted Image
as it looks when the shell is closed. It covers the middle of the bay, which is what I need.

Posted Image
closeup view of the front

Posted Image
clearance with the switch

Posted Image
straight-on view for the clearance with the switch, and the clearance between the orange and blue shells for the screwhead

Posted Image
I originally wanted to put it on the other half of the shell in order for it to be out of the way when I work on the electrics in this half. However, because there's that indentation for the outer blue shell of the blaster, the angle bracket I used on the brace would have to have been moved back which puts it dangerously close to the switch contacts.

Posted Image
the lipo in the battery compartment

Posted Image
and with the battery compartment cover installed

Posted Image
internal view. I could've moved the bracket back a couple mm, but it's fine as it is. If I put the lipo in the bubble wrap that it came in before installing it, it shouldn't be able to move around at all.

Posted Image
now onto modifying the flywheel motors, since I forgot to earlier.

Posted Image
pry open the tabs

Posted Image
another comparison photo, which brushes look more sturdy to you

Posted Image
Xmod gen1 brushes and endbell installed

Posted Image
a trick I use to close the tabs is to turn the screwdriver sideways and push that way.

Posted Image
not as good as ball bearing cans, but good enough.

Posted Image
wired up in parallel with kickback diodes installed, it works. awesome

Posted Image
starting to wire up the main trigger switch

Posted Image
the lone red wire is supposed to come straight from the positive of the battery, since nothing else hooks up straight to it. It directly feeds the BEC all the way in the rear of the blaster. I messed it up during assembly and had to fix it later.

Posted Image
wiring another capacitor, a 1500uF 16v I stole off a broken Xbox360, right out of the BEC output. I noticed that even with the relatively miniscule current draw (1.4A peak) the BEC was dumping down to just over 6v.

Posted Image
a photo taken after I had worked out the kinks in the soldering, you'll see that the red wire goes through the flywheel board instead of attaching to it, and there was a misplaced wire on the gearbox feedback switch that basically shorted the BEC out. :\ Fortunately nothing broke, and this is how the wiring looks in the final product.

Posted Image
I soldered the main filter cap (1000uF 50v) straight to the flywheel switch, as it's an automotive one with an onboard LED that lights up when the switch is on and thus needs both Vcc and ground to be attached. It only switches hotside, but for this application it was perfect.

Posted Image
ziptied the leads off the BEC to clean it up a little

Posted Image
it's a little hard to see in the photo, but I attached the BEC to the top of the gearbox case with a four-thick application of 10lb outdoor doublestick tape. Hopefully the grease won't leach through and cause it to fall off, but there's enough crap around in the vicinity so that even if it does it doesn't have much room to flop around.

Posted Image
sticking all the rest of the guts back in before reassembly

Posted Image
a really crappy blurry closeup of the Gorilla Tape strip I put over the missing accel trigger, to prevent foreign material from going in the blaster when I use it outdoors. It didn't stick too great, but the blaster shell pinches in that area so I'm not worried about it coming off.

Posted Image
filled up a 6rd mag and fired em on 2s lipo (it was 3am at this point). If the peak current scales linearly, then the blaster should pull around 9A on 3s which means it's up to 100W, majority of which is in the flywheels. Not bad at all, I will do some actual testing the next time it's sunny.

Posted Image
the completed blaster next to my Rayven Elite. There's more in store for the RS.II, I'm waiting on things to be delivered. :D Stay tuned for updates

#7 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

Posted Image
Itoe blew a motor...actually he blew both of them. One of them threw a coil catastrophically, and the other one just cut itself on something. I don't really know why both of them would at the same time under normal operating conditions, but there we are. My original Rapidstrike is still going strong after being tested and used during a game, and my 3s Rapidstrike is still working so maybe a batch of motors were bad in an Amazon shipment.

The magnets in the stock motors seem to be stronger, so for now Itoe is running the Nerf can+motor with Xmod Stage 1 arms+endbell.

#8 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Finally got around to adding the voltmeters to my RS.

Posted Image
mockup on some plexi I was gonna use as the backing

Posted Image
underneath the jam door

Posted Image
clearance checking the door, this is the fully retracted position

Posted Image
drill locations

Posted Image
here we go

Posted Image
feed the bolts through

Posted Image
drilled tiny holes so I could mount the voltmeters. I ended up using some screws I found from my broken iwaver, in hindsight I should've tapped those holes better since I stripped two of the screws trying to install them

Posted Image
installing

Posted Image
mounted to the plexi. They're not coming off, one screw on either voltmeter was stripped going in

Posted Image
spacers are bushings out of a Revo throttle arm

Posted Image
hole drilled for the wires to exit. I can't have them flopping around in there since they could get tangled in the pusher mechanism

Posted Image
routing the wires through the hole

Posted Image
peeled off the protective sheet from the plexi, and it looks fantastic

Posted Image
I didn't have a grommet readily available, so I made do with this vibration dampener from an old CD player

Posted Image
the bolts' protrusion was minimal and normal operation of the jam door is unaffected

Posted Image
view from the bottom

Posted Image
had to work some magic with the wiring back here so it wouldn't get pinched by the shell

Posted Image
and on this side

Posted Image
used some teflon tape to minimize the annoying wiggling that the barrel extensions (particularly the Longstrike) do when installed on this blaster

Posted Image
except I used too much and now the shell won't close properly. It's ok, at least the wobbling is almost gone

Posted Image
finally put it back together for hopefully the last time

Posted Image
jam door still slides back without problems

Posted Image
with the lipo connected, it shines through

Posted Image
view from the front

Posted Image
easily visible through the door plastic

Posted Image
I think the blaster's complete. We'll see if the Longstrike's barrel is enough to prevent it spraying as badly as it usually wants to.

#9 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

I finished up modifying my first Rapidstrike because a friend was interested in buying it.

Posted Image
You can see the foam powder accumulating around the flywheel area

Posted Image
This is the original switch setup, with the pathetically small microswitch on the accel trigger

Posted Image
Closeup of my wiring job

Posted Image
Comparing the new switch. This one is out of the Stampede; it's larger, and it's also SPDT so there's two sets of contacts.

Posted Image
Placement inside the handle. Also notice that I've sanded the tip of the switch to mate better with the accel trigger.

Posted Image
Hotglue the shit out of it

Posted Image
On to the flywheel cage

Posted Image
Replacing the stock motors with these Xmod gen1 Stage 1 motors, which are rated at [email protected] I did an audio rpm test of the flywheels and it clocked in at around [email protected], which sounds about right (unloaded rpm calculated at 32krpm).

Posted Image
The new switch is much bigger, which leaves me with a better feeling about the blaster's longevity.

#10 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

Modified another Rapidstrike

Posted Image
I think they've done some running updates, since the brush holders are blue plastic now rather than the standard peach, and the stock wiring in the blaster is a bit thicker.

Posted Image
the last of my Xmod Stage 1 motor armatures going into the RS can with Xmod endbell

Posted Image
Using a Stampede switch for the acceleration trigger, but the layout requires me to cut off one of the screw posts in order for the shell to close properly.

#11 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

Steve and I decided to test out PN Racing's ball bearing 130 motor can to see if it makes a noticeable difference. We went with the neodymium magnet kit, and here is the install process

Posted Image
These are the motor cans in the packaging, with signature PN orange

Posted Image
I did a quick lineup of the motors I still have, one set of Rapidstrikes and two sets of Stryfe

Posted Image
Pulling out the armatures from the stock Rapidstrike motors

Posted Image
Installing the armatures into the PNR cans

Posted Image
Armature swap completed

Posted Image
I took a moment to look around the rest of the blaster for maintenance, and there was a lot of foam dust buildup

Posted Image
a lot of foam dust

Posted Image
a lot of foam dust lol

Posted Image
The flywheels in particular had a nice buildup of foam from the three wars it's been used in without cleaning

Posted Image
Different angle on the flywheel cage

Posted Image
Speaking of flywheel cages, I found something interesting when looking at it

Posted Image
The Rapidstrike and Stryfe flywheel cages can fit on each other...and interestingly enough, the Stryfe cage can fit into the RS one with no modification that I remember

Posted Image
I installed the motors into the Stryfe cage with the Stryfe flywheels

Posted Image
Another view

Posted Image
Wiring it all up (notice the kickback diodes on the outside)

Posted Image
Installed in the blaster with a test battery hooked up.

The rpm of the motor is lowered due to the higher field strength of the neodymium magnets, but the stronger magnets allows the motor to pull more surge power and as such the time it takes to recover between shots is minimized. The blaster sounds different, it's more of a growl than a roar, but as a whole I recommend getting the motor cans. The brushes it comes with are carbon as well so if you don't have other motors around to cannibalize for brushes then it performs that upgrade for you as well.

#12 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

Recently I did another Rapidstrike modification, this time for Gmunny.

Posted Image
Pulling the RS out of the box. It's been awhile since I've seen one brand new like this.

Posted Image
The styling of the outer shell still impresses me to this day.

Posted Image
Pulling the shell apart. This one was from Amazon, and lacked the infamous supergluing of the pusher assembly update.

Posted Image
All the electrics taken out

Posted Image
Closeup on the pusher assembly, just a reference photo before I start desoldering everything

Posted Image
Flywheel cage

Posted Image
Pulling off the pusher switch pcb to clean it off

Posted Image
Cleaning out the handle to put a microswitch for the acceleration trigger as usual

Posted Image
I didn't get to take very many photos later in the build, since I was running late into the morning, but here's it all wired up. It was a simple, straightforward rewire.

#13 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:50 PM

Further modifications to my Rapidstrike, got an alloy cage for it. It's technically for a Stryfe but in my experiences the cages from the Stryfe, Rapidstrike, and Rayven are all interchangeable.

Posted Image
Back on the table for the first time in years

Posted Image
Cracking the beast back open

Posted Image
Extracting the cage from the shell

Posted Image
First thing in motor removal is to remove the flywheels

Posted Image
Comparison with the Worker mod wheels

Posted Image
Putting the motors into the Worker alloy cage

Posted Image
I'm not sure why it's not directly compatible despite the stock cages being so, but there is a small amount of shell modifications necessary.

Posted Image
Even the orange part of the shell needs a slight cut

Posted Image
The plastic around the post needs to be cut down due to the alloy interfering

Posted Image
Finally got it in

Posted Image
Some of the top shell needs to be cut off as well in order to fit back on

Posted Image
I cut off a bit too much as it turns out, but it should be fine

Posted Image
Everything back together

I will say that the PN Racing motor can screw holes don't line up properly with the ones on the cage, however I'm not sure if that's a problem with the PN can or if it's tolerances on the Worker product. I'm using a single screw to secure each motor at the moment.

There hasn't been an opportunity to test this out in quite some time, but operation seems smooth so I am satisfied for now.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users