• You cannot reply to this topic

EWD (electric winding drum) mags

#1 User is offline   aotsukisho 

• D.C Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Owner

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:55 AM

I'll start this thread since I got an Angel Custom/Evike Thunderstorm electric winding drum mag (EWD) awhile ago and figured I might as well make use of it. It is designed to run off of a 9v battery, so I immediately modified the wiring to use a 2s lipo that I shoved inside. I figured it was about time to add the option for an external tape switch, seeing as how it is manual wind and the button is located on the bottom of the mag and is not that easy to find by feel.

Posted Image
This is what it looks like 'stock', notice the wind button down at the bottom. It's supposedly made of Zytel which is a very good nylon blend, it's grippy and rigid.

Posted Image
Opening up the front where the 9v battery is supposed to go, the battery connector poked through a hole. Since I had modified this previously, I have the balance tap for an internal lipo battery poking through that hole instead.

Posted Image
I had stored a 2s 1000mAh lipo inside the servomotor compartment at the very bottom for best center of gravity

Posted Image
Pulling out the servomotor, which looks to be a standard size hobby servo with no position sensing. This opens up options for 'upgrading', but seeing as how the feeder unit is plastic as well I don't think it's viable.

Posted Image
Proposed schematic for a dual-switch MOSFET-controlled motor controller. I have not measured the current draw of the included servomotor but the 8928A that I have laying around are supposed to be good to [email protected]

This is mainly for safety reasons, as I don't want the external switch behind all of its connectors and thin wire having the motor current flowing through it and lowering the effective voltage.

I still have to prototype the circuit to see if it performs how I want, until then this EWD project will pause.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users